10:46 PM

Revelations of a Fevered Mind

/*Romance stories sometimes involve either of the party in a feverish state and has no one but the object of affection to care for them. Then, as usual, sexual tension develops and will result with one of them saying something so stupid and predictable like "I love you."*/

/*I hope I won't find myself in such a situation in the future.*/

cout<
I have a fever. It's officially my first bout of sickness during this second semester. Last time I had two, the first one coincidentally striking on the day of my first ever departmental exam. The last one came up somewhere mid-sem.

So, a fever. What caused it this time? Aside from the usual dehydration syndrome (yes folks, I'm still a lazy drinker, my mom's going nuts reminding me time and time again to drink water), we finally figured out what's causing these annoying sneezing fits: dust mites. My mom, a loyal informative morning shows fan, happened to chance upon a medical snippet featuring allergic rhinitis (Did I get this right? I don't trust ScribeFire's built-in spelling check). According to the doctor, AR is caused by dust mites, microscopic, no-eyes, eight-legged freaks of nature that resides in dust particles and feeds off from danders (skin flakes). So yeah, I'm allergic to miniscule flea bags. Joy. I can finally tell people what I'm allergic to. It's a bit weird to tell people that your just having another allergy fit but don't know specifically what caused it.

Thank goodness I don't have much school work to do. Oh wait, scratch that. I do. My schedule's not just that strict and cruel, yet. The heaviest one so far is the position paper for NatSci4. Speaking of which, I have to somehow remind myself to watch "The Inconvenient Truth" again this Monday. I chose that documentary because the other two weren't exactly convenient for me. I don't have a copy of the "11th hour" (shame, I want to see Pitt do narrating stuff), and I'm fairly disappointed with Richard Gutierrez's "Signos". Networks these days create better plugs than programs. Besides, I have much more things to comment on Al Gore's docu. I might even mention my two-thumbs-up opinion on his frog example and off-the-records analogy.

cout<
/*My Winamp is currently playing "When I Grow Up" by Pussycat Dolls. Ahh, the memories.*/

My computer is currently being dominated by OpenSource projects. I have installed Winamp, Codeblocks, OpenOffce, Firefox Notepad++ and Yahoo! Messenger (the latter, though a freeware, doesn't actually fall under OpenSource thingies, I believe). Now, if only they have an OpenSource application that's similar to Dreamweaver and Photoshop then I would have gladly declared my current PC status complete. Sadly, there are no such things. That leaves me with the menial task of rummaging through all my installer CDs to look for said applications.

Firefox does the rest for me. It's currently my powerhouse app. I filled it with at least ten add-ons and downloaded seven skins on an artistic whim. I also downloaded Google Desktop to support some of my needs.

The bottom line here is that I'm partly doomed when the internet is down. I'm 70% dependent on it. Plus, half of my life officially resides in the world wide web.

There's Plurk. It has an interface similar to Twitter (sp?). Now, normally I would have said more about this but since I can't**, I'll just inform you that there's a Wikipedia site for both social networks. Google them. Anyway, what made this particularly attractive to me is that it poked the inner competitiveness in me. I swear it was the concept of karma points that made me fall for it. And I recall having told someone that I might lose enthusiasm as soon as I reach Plurk Nirvana. At the rate I'm going I might accomplish it at the end of the year, give or take a week.

There's Multiply. No, I don't "do" Multiply per se. I only made an account there to be able to connect to others. Besides, most of the posts there are fairly amusing *ahem*Maykol*ahem*.

There's Fanfiction.net. Speaking of which, I miss my ships.

There's Google Reader. It's my ultimate updater. With it, I get to cut my browsing time in half.

cout<
I thought that as a Computer Science student, I would be spending more time with my beloved PC than most students. I was right. Though I haven't experienced it yet, I know it'd be hell when come MP-making period and you don't have a computer within reach anytime. Computer shops aren't that reliable for us anymore. I mean, honestly, how many computer shops have Codeblocks of DevCpp installed in them?

/* Well, there was one shop I went once where the computer I was assigned to and the units on either side of me (no one was using them) have Codeblocks installed. It was working, too. I checked each of them. Weird. */

And this is one thing I noticed as well: unlike in our high school days, bringing a laptop to school is CONVENIENT. Screw the possible thieves and snatchers roaming around Taft Avenue, laptops are babies! It's more convenient than bringing a universal notebook (I did that during 3rd and 4th year high school). When most of your professors/instructors upload references on the internet, it's getting more and more impractical (and costly) to print these hand-outs. At least when you have a laptop, you don't need to print them anymore. All you need is a fairly large memory capacity.

I've been "trying" to save for a laptop since fourth year, but unfortunately I can't move beyond the "trying" stage. Things are excessively costly these days. I hate it. At the rate of saving I'm going, I'll be able to buy one by the end of my graduating year (that is/must/should be on my fourth year, I don't want to be delayed). Though I'll still be needing one even after I graduate, (duh) it's, er, I don't know, depressing for me.

What's more depressing is that I'm aiming for a Mac. 'nuff said.

All in all, I need to get a f--cking job by next year.

0 typed back: